Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sucker for Selvedge

Maybe it's because I'm in marketing I fall for the marketing hype.
Anybody remember how just about every fabric J.Crew uses comes from some remote village in the foothills somewhere making whatever specialty lace, jacquard or tweed for hundreds of years?
So while doing due diligence for the ultimate chambray-
denim shirt smackdown, I had to try this one.
Posting to get the correct Polyvore image
because what you save is not always what you get.
A selvedge (Merriam-Webster prefers selvage, which bothers my logic since the word is from self+edge) is the bound edge of woven or flat-knitted fabric finished to prevent raveling. As a former seamstress,
I appreciate its beauty and strength and if a garment makes good use
of it, I'm usually a goner. Here's what got me:
This heirloom-worthy shirt has authentic details inspired by vintage workwear from the 1930s,
and the Japanese selvedge cotton chambray is the best there is (we stonewash ours for
that perfect worn-in look and feel). Casually chic with a longer shirttail hem and
a slightly oversize fit, it's cool and classic at the same time.
Not only is it selvedge chambray, but authentic details ...
vintage workwear from the 1930s and heirloom-worthy?
I was sorely disappointed to find the selvedge used in three places.
A tiny piece stitched in between the front and back shirt tails.
Mine is from HO 11 and I can't spot this detail in the closeups of the current shirt.
To form the hidden button down under the collar.
Hint: don't try to button the collar while wearing the shirt, it will be a struggle.

Along one placket, used improperly IMO since it's a separate piece stitched on
and not even along the entire length of the placket.
Miffed, I fully intended to return the shirt but never got around to it.
So it's with me to this day and guess it's staying.
Wearing it this way to show you the fuller sleeves.
Wearing it with the Liberty toothpick jean in June's Meadow floral,
go to the larger of your pant sizes if you're debating. 

Trying for the casually chic.
Wearing with the cropped matchstick jean in indigo floral,
also recommend the larger of your pant sizes.
Warning: if you're petite and wearing flats,
don't wear it as a tunic untucked, it's not a good look.
Not sure it's a good look even if tucked, it's a little Vera B.
Still trying for the cool, classic, casual chic.
Wearing with the Liberty toothpick jean in Tresco floral, sized as June's Meadow.
I made fun of them when first released but seriously love them now.
One thing about the selvedge chambray shirt,
the fabric is fine and silky, finer and silkier than
any of the other chambray shirts I've tried.
And no distressing, which is a good thing in my book.
 
That's all folks for now. I'm going to publish before Blogger crashes again and makes me redo an hour's worth of stuff. :(


29 comments:

  1. I keep admiring this shirt, but never bite and I don't know why... Oh wait - may be because I think I look lousy in those kinds of shorts, but you look wonderful Tiffany Rose and you are making me rethink my boycott....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After trying about a zillion of them, I've learned they can be flattering or not depending on the cut, length and fabric characteristics. More chambray shirt reviews to come ...

      Delete
  2. Your shirt looks comfy and cool on you. Like it with all of the pretty printed pants!
    I had one of these shirts but I never did wear it so it left, but I regret it. It would have been nice to throw on this summer. It would get even softer with age I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very comfy and cool and though not faded, it's already very soft. I prefer cotton or linen shirts over knits when it's sticky hot, I also like to wear chambray work shirts when I'm doing housework. Imagine that. ;)

      Delete
  3. I live in Japan and have too much time on my hands. I may make it my mission to track down this Japanese weaver of fine chambray and give him or her a thank you from J Crew lovers worldwide. Seriously though the print pants look great but I have a feeling they look best on slender legs so I shall stick to solid colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snorted out loud at that, Jude!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, jude, for passing on our thanks. ;)

      Delete
  4. I am LOLing at the amount of printed denim featured in the post. LOVE IT!!! I sort of made fun of the trescos too, but also knew I'd probably end up getting them, which of course I did. They all look FAB on you. As usual. Oh, and I like the shirt. I am now up to two chambray shirts and I think that may be my limit, though one of them is the polka dot, so I don't know if it counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.CrewJD, isn't this scary? Not only do I have crazy pants, I have crazy denims. And you know how I feel about the tresco now! The polka dot chambray shirt counts, I have some. More craziness and reviews of those to come too.

      Delete
  5. super cute outfit combinations, as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Major crazy pants! They suit you though. I just look ridiculous in printed pants but floral prints don't really work for me in any form.

    That's too bad about the shirt not meeting your expectations. I try to get my returns back right away but once in a while there seems to be a mental bock and it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely major crazy!

      I hate it when I forget to return stuff though I've come to like this shirt, the fabric is quite fine. But J.Crew, sewing pieces selvedge onto a garment is NOT the right way to utilitze selvedge!

      Delete
  7. Blogger crashes hurt my heart. Thanks for the lesson on selvedge. I didn't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I would have screamed had it not been in the middle of the night. It was the first time that's ever happened to me and of course while doing the most complicated post I've ever attempted. That's probably why it crashed.

      Delete
  8. so so cute! thanks for the tips on the pants too! xo
    extra yuck to blogger crashes. :(

    phiphi's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, phiphi. You know, I almost regret making the comments about the fit of the pants, think it depends why someone would size up or down, whether it's for your waist, hips or thighs that you would or not.

      See my reply to gigi for the double, triple yuck to blogger crashes. ;)

      Delete
  9. seeing these make me want to try and find the perfect chambray shirt...I usually shy away from button downs but am coming around. and the pants...I love the tresco floral with the silver shoes, fabulous combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, shopmurphy. The tresco floral are my favorite of the crazy jeans. And the miri midheels, at least the mirror metallic, are my recent favs, they are pretty *and* comfortable.

      Delete
  10. Vintage workwear from the 30's?? How could you resist?
    I'm very jealous of your printed jeans collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like historical details to suck me in. Thanks, ruth. ;)

      Delete
  11. I am loving those two bottom ones, esp the very bottom and with those silver shoes. I have not been able to the do the patterned jean thing, obviously I haven't met these Liberty Prints (the one Liberty print pants I tried on was too pale and not flattering...) Doesn't a good chambray bring everything together, I love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet I know which Liberty print pants you tried, I didn't like that one either. I think the tresco might suit you, sort of a cool Californian, blond and beachy thingy. ;)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Handbag Aficionado! A good chambray shirt goes with everything, or almost. ;)

      Delete
  13. I had to laugh about the missed return date, I just discovered last week that I hadn't returned a black hooded coat that looks like it might be weather-proof. I wonder of this happens a lot?

    Loving the outfits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WFF, I'll bet that happens way more often than we'd like. There are things I didn't get around to return in time and then there are things I completely forgot about from too long ago. :(

      Delete
  14. Looks nice! Forever live chambray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TC! I think chambray shirts are like denim jeans, gotta have a few different ones.

      Delete

Talk to me ... make my day! :)